Proposed Palestinian UN Resolution Threatens Peace Negotiations, Demands Global Response
Time to Speak Out & Take Action
Rather than enter into direct negotiations with Israel, the Palestinian Authority has mobilized allies to support a resolution that will unilaterally endorse a Palestinian state at the United Nations. The measure would first have to come before the UN Security Council. If defeated in that venue, a separate non-binding resolution could be brought to the UN General Assembly (UNGA). Such a measure would almost certainly pass by a lopsided margin due to the support of the 57-member Organization of the Islamic Congress (OIC) and scores of countries that are hostile to Israel, eager to curry favor with Arab states, or have other reasons for supporting a unilateral bid for Palestinian statehood.
This action, however, will not resolve a single issue. Only negotiations can lead to a secure and lasting peace. The real motive is to isolate and delegitimize Israel. A realistic result will be renewed violence and a total collapse of the peace process.
AJC offices around the world together with many other organizations are reaching out to Presidents, Prime Ministers, Foreign Ministers Ambassadors, Consuls Generals and other political and community leaders to alert them to the acute danger posed by the proposed resolution.
• Ahavath Torah Congregation, Stoughton
• American Association of Jewish Holocaust Survivors of Greater Boston
• Anti-Defamation League
• Combined Israel Education Committee of Temple Emanuel, Newton
• Combined Jewish Philanthropies
• Congregation Kehillath Israel, Brookline
• Congregation Or Atid, Wayland
• Consulate of Israel to New England
• Hillel Council of New England
• Israel Affairs Committee of Congregation Mishkan Tefila, Chestnut Hill
• Israel Action Committee of Temple Israel of Natick
• Jewish Community Relations Council of Greater Boston
• Jewish Federation of the Berkshires
• Synagogue Council of Massachusetts
• Temple Beth Abraham, Canton
• Temple Beth Zion, Brookline
• Temple Israel of Sharon
• Temple Shalom of Newton
• Temple Shir Tikva, Wayland
• The Jewish Community Centers of Greater Boston
• Young Israel of Brookline
IV. TAKE ACTION NOW
We are fighting to build a Moral Minority, which has the audacity to stand up to the demagoguery that is driving the current campaign to isolate and delegitimize Israel. Already Germany and the Netherlands have joined our effort. It is important that Germany and the Netherlands (as well as those countries that remain on the fence) know that their act of conscience and courage is noticed and appreciated. We are, therefore, hoping to amass hundreds of signatures to letters that will go to the Consul General of Germany and the Honorary Consul of the Netherlands. In the world of diplomacy, a simple gesture of this kind can go a long way.
Below are a few links that will offer you additional background. Please note that not all opinion pieces reflect the positions of AJC or other participating organizations.