Gluten-free and Passover-friendly. I know what you're thinking. But this sponge cake is one of our family favorites! We bake it not just for my Aunt who can't eat gluten, but for everyone at our seder, and for our friends and family throughout the week. It may take some practice to get the desired spongy effect, but the outcome is certainly worth the effort!
1 1/2 cups of sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup potato starch, sifted
Dash of salt
Separate 6 of the eggs. Beat the 6 yolks and the one whole egg until frothy
Gradually add sifted sugar, lemon juice and rind, beating constantly and thoroughly
Gradually add sifted potato starch, stirring constantly
Beat egg whites with salt until stiff, but not dry
Fold gently into egg yolk mixture
Place in ungreased 10" tube pan
350 degrees, 55 minutes
- Download our new, free, printable Haggadah. We've even got a version you can customize if you like. Do your thing!
- Find a Seder and other Passover programming in the Greater Boston area.
- Hosting a Seder? Between the ages of 18 and 40? Check out the Seder in a Box.
- Get Passover recipes (and post your own!) - new recipes are being added all the time!
- Visit our Passover Guide for all events and blog posts.
Photo is under Creative Commons licenses; please click here for sources.