We are an engaged and enthusiastic community, looking for people who can “think big picture” about what it means to teach Judaism in the 21st century and also execute on a small scale. We are looking for people who:
- Are growing and deepening their relationship with Judaism
- Are experienced, proactive educators:
- able to build off of existing curricula and make it your own
- Skilled in creating structured, productive, engaging and joyful classroom environments
- Committed to meeting the learning needs of all students through differentiated instruction
- connect easily and profoundly with children
- communicate professionally (ie, regularly, clearly, enthusiastically) with both staff and parents
- Experience teaching as one of the most difficult, most important, holy and frequently transformative parts of your life— and are looking for supervisors and colleagues with similar sensibilities, who support and push each other in their teaching practice.
Our Hebrew school meets on Sundays from 9:30-12:00 and Tuesdays from 3:45-5:45 PM. We are mostly looking for teachers for Sunday mornings, but there might be roles for teachers twice a week. (We are also looking for a pre-school teacher for one class per month.) If you are interested in figuring out how to teach an ancient tradition in new and creative ways, please send the following to email@example.com:
- A resume
- A lesson plan for an awesome class you’ve taught
- A cover letter that includes two of the following three components:
- An elaboration of a powerful religious experience or your favorite work of art (visual/poetry/music/performance/other)
- Something you’ve always wanted to do as a teacher (in any setting) but never had the chance.
- The story of an instance of challenge in your teaching that pushed you to become a better teacher
Please note that we are also looking for a leader for our Youth High Holiday Services. If that position is also of interest, please let us know by stating your interest and related experience in your cover letter and resume.
*badass= “hard core” about teaching, unpretentious, with a sense of humor, and effective!