The main idea for kids: Decorate Shabbat candles so they are extra beautiful when we welcome Shabbat.
Recommended age: 4+
- Two beeswax taper candles
- Crayola Fabric Broad Line Markers (they work on candles too!)
- Place your candles and markers on a clean, flat work surface.
- Use the fabric markers to draw dots, smiley faces, spirals or other designs on the candles. Use your own candlesticks as the base, or choose from the projects “Shabbat Rocks,” “Shabbat in a Jar” or “Shabbat Reflection Garden” to create your own candle base.
- Visit JewishBoston.com/Shabbat for instructions and information about Shabbat rituals, including the candle-lighting blessing.
NOTE: An adult should always supervise the lighting of the Shabbat candles. As a safety precaution, we recommend placing a large sheet of foil or a baking sheet underneath the candles.
This project was originally featured in JewishBoston.com’s Shabbat of the Month Club program.