The main idea for kids: Create four beautiful candles to brighten Shabbat.
Recommended age: 3+
- Four sheets beeswax (makes four candles)
- One two-foot length cotton wick
- Child safety scissors
- Place beeswax sheet on clean, flat work surface and trim to a 5”x 5” square. Save the trimmings! Soften the beeswax by running a hairdryer over it for a few seconds.
- Cut wick to same length as beeswax square, plus the length of your pinky finger.
- Lay wax flat and place wick on one side so that it covers the length of the wax and sticks out on top; roll the wax around the wick.
- Make thin wax strips in different colors, or select from your pile of trimmed pieces. Press and attach them to your candle.
- Use your own candlesticks as the base, or choose from the projects “Shabbat Rocks,” “Shabbat in a Jar” or “Shabbat Reflection Garden” to create your own candle base.
- Visit JewishBoston.com/Shabbat for instructions and information about Shabbat rituals, including the candle-lighting blessing.
NOTE: An adult should always supervise the lighting of the Shabbat candles. As a safety precaution, we also recommend placing a large sheet of foil or a baking sheet underneath the candles.
This project was originally featured in JewishBoston.com’s Shabbat of the Month Club program.