What are the different visions that have shaped modern Judaism and the Jewish people? This course will explore 10 figures whose visions have shaped the course of modern Jewish civilization:
- Theodor Herzl, the founder of political Zionism
- Vladimir Jabotinsky, the founder of Revisionist Zionism
- Ahad Ha’am, the voice of secular, spiritual Zionism
- Abraham Isaac Kook, the first chief rabbi of modern Zionism
- Sigmund Freud, the founder of psychoanalysis and secular Jewish identity theory
- Martin Buber, the modern Jewish
- Franz Rosenzweig, the great modern, Jewish existentialist philosopher
- Abraham Joshua Heschel, the leading American-Jewish philosopher
- Gershom Scholem, the leading academic scholar of Kabbalah (Jewish mysticism)
- Jewish feminist thinkers
Instructor: David Ariel, Ph.D.
Financial aid available.
Schedule: Weekly through January 2, 2019 (some weeks are skipped due to holidays; visit hebrewcollege.edu/meah for exact dates)
About Me’ah Select:
Jump into a 10-week, in-depth exploration of a specific theme, text, personality or slice of Jewish history led by our outstanding Me’ah faculty! Targeted to adult learners of all backgrounds, whether you are seeking to take a first step or the next step in your education journey.
Our talented faculty is known for their scholarship and dynamic approach to adult learning, and bring their Me’ah Select classes to life through the study of literature, history, art and original texts and source material.
Taught at the college level, but without papers and assignments, you will dig deeply and gain new perspectives into fascinating topics.+ More... - Less...