IMMEDIATE PRESS RELEASE
JFS of Metrowest Receives $41,866 from MetroWest Health Foundation
Framingham, MA – June 25, 2015 – Jewish Family Service of Metrowest (JFS) today announced that it has been awarded a $41,866 continuation grant from the Framingham Union Grants Panel of the MetroWest Health Foundation to help frail older adults access medical care and maintain their independence at home.
45 JFS Patient Navigator volunteers help seniors navigate their doctor visits by taking notes to make sure they have a good record of what the doctor recommends as well as providing transportation. Lynn Quincy, senior policy analyst at Consumers Union was interviewed by USA Today and stated that the evidence is overwhelming that when patients are active participants — taking notes and asking questions — they interact with their doctors better and get better outcomes. On average, patients don’t score very well on health literacy, and it can be hard for them to understand everything the doctor said and the instructions they have to follow.
Since its inception in 2012, JFS Patient Navigator program has helped over 224 individuals by providing 786 round trip escorted medical visits. Patient Navigators have travelled over 1400 miles with 80% of appointments taking place locally and the other 20% in greater Boston.
“The JFS Patient Navigator Program is a unique program that is truly benefiting elders in Framingham,” said Martin Cohen, President/CEO of the MetroWest Health Foundation. “The thoughtful and compassionate assistance provided by the Navigators provides both immediate assistance to those needing help in getting to appointments, but also reassurance for those who may have difficulty in navigating the complexities of today’s health care delivery system.”
“Through JFS Patient Navigator, older clients better access medical care; they also increase self-management of their own care by filling their prescriptions and scheduling follow-up care. We are so grateful to the MetroWest Health Foundation for enabling us to continue providing a much-needed service to the Framingham community,” said Marc Jacobs, CEO of JFS of Metrowest.
JFS is located at 475 Franklin Street, Suite 101, Framingham, MA 01702. For additional information, call 508-875-3100 or visit www.jfsmw.org.
About JFS of Metrowest
JFS a non-profit, community-based organization dedicated to standing up for those left behind and provides services to over 4,500 people in need within the Metrowest region each year, including afterschool tutoring for at-risk children, nutrition assistance for low-income families, refugee resettlement case management and support services that enable frail older adults to live independently. To learn more about JFS visit www.jfsmw.org.
JFS of Metrowest
Manager, Program Operations
This post has been contributed by a third party. The opinions, facts and any media content are presented solely by the author, and JewishBoston assumes no responsibility for them. Want to add your voice to the conversation? Publish your own post here.