Date: August 5, 2015
Job Title: Director of Finance/Controller
JFS is a Framingham, Massachusetts based non-profit agency, founded in 1979, that provides vital social, health and community services to alleviate suffering, enhance lives and support people in need.
For more information, please see the agency information section at end of this announcement and also visit www.jfsmw.org
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Finance Director (FD) will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities. As a member of the leadership team, the FD will be involved in all aspects of strategic organizational development.
The FD will lead all day-to-day finance operations of a budget of $2.5 million and supervise a small team with functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, donor contributions, and grants administration. The FD will ensure that JFS has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. The FD will work closely with program leaders and their staff, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support program operations.
The FD prepares and supports presentations to the CEO and management staff; to the board and to the board’s budget and finance committee; and to internal and external stakeholders. The FD will work closely with the senior leadership team in all aspects of business and organizational operations.
In addition, s/he will partner with the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and other leadership to enhance and better integrate finance, HR, and IT functions. The FD will also have a principle role in the implementation of performance management metrics and best practices in financial management.
The position will start by October 1, 2015 so that there is training and a smooth transition with the current Director who is retiring.
This is an extraordinary opportunity in a healthy, mission-driven organization for an energetic, enthusiastic, talented leader with five plus years of accounting and finance experience, ideally beginning in accounting and audit, followed by experience gathering, evaluating, presenting and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders. The FD will ideally have experience in a complex nonprofit that has multiple programs and funding streams. Experience in preparing audited financial statements required.
Finance and Accounting Leadership
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Coordinate all audit activity.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of JFS’ financial status.
- Assist JFS leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Support the CEO in engaging the board’s finance committee around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery. The FD will also partner with the Board Treasurer.
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants.
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting; continuously collaborate with program directors/managers to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations.
- Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
- Leverage strengths of the current finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to JFS’s mission; a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own, in partnership with the CEO and COO, the responsibility for finance.
- Minimum of a BA; CPA and/or MBA preferred.
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments.
- A track record in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate and foundation grants is essential.
- A track record in donor financial management.
- Technology savvy; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers.
JFS is a Framingham, Massachusetts based non-profit agency, founded in 1979, that provides vital social, health and community services to alleviate suffering, enhance lives and support people in need. The annual budget is approximately $2.5 million. JFS has deep roots in both the Jewish and the general community. It is a diverse and inclusive organization.
The agency serves Metrowest area residents regardless of religion, race, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, military status, or any other basis prohibited by law and promotes inclusiveness and diversity in hiring, retention, promotion and board and committee recruitment. Guided by a tradition of social responsibility and compassion, JFS is dedicated to supporting people of all ages and backgrounds, treating people with dignity and compassion, helping people achieve and sustain healthy lives and independence, providing culturally relevant services and collaborating with community partners to broaden our impacts.
JFS is governed by an unpaid Board of Directors who, with the agency’s chief executive officer and senior leadership team, oversee a staff of 75 who offer a range of vital programs targeted to strengthening children and families, helping individuals and families to “make ends meet,” keeping elders safe and healthy, supporting new Americans and building a strong community. The agency maintains cost-effective programs; utilizes over 200 trained volunteers who work in conjunction with staff and who provide, collectively, 1000 hours of volunteer service monthly.
Dynamic— with Purpose– and Impact. JFS' leadership is committed to significant and continued organization improvement that includes constant review of programmatic and financial health metrics. The programmatic goals are to ensure that all services of the agency demonstrate clear purpose, measurable impacts, high team performance and responsiveness and relevance to the community's rapidly changing needs and to reach those in a responsible fiscal manner.
JFS is strongly committed to diversity and a workplace environment that respects, appreciates and values employee differences and similarities. Women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color, Hispanic/Latino/Latina and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please submit electronically a cover letter with resume to:
Chief Executive Officer
JFS of Metrowest, 475 Franklin Street, Suite 101, Framingham, MA 01702
Download the PDF: Director of Finance-Controller Position Description
This post has been contributed by a third party. The opinions, facts and any media content are presented solely by the author, and JewishBoston assumes no responsibility for them. Want to add your voice to the conversation? Publish your own post here.