It all started with one of those snarky conversations among good friends from different religious backgrounds. We were trading stories about Easter and Passover, and when I mentioned that I liked to experiment with matzah ball soup recipes, they said, “when are we coming over?”
A date was set, and when my friend Sarah asked me what she could bring, I impulsively said, “Peeps! We’ll make s’mores out of them with matzah!” I was half-joking, but Sarah delivered, and a tradition was born. Here’s the recipe:
1 sheet matzah, broken into four squares
2 Peeps, separated
1 1.55 oz Hershey bar, broken in half
1. Put two pieces of matzah on a plate, and top each one with one of the Hershey bar halves.
2. Put a Peep on top of each matzah square.
3. Place in microwave, and heat on high for about 30 seconds (melted to taste).*
4. Remove and top each with the remaining matzah squares.
5. Serve hot. Animating your s’mores and posting the video online is optional.
*Alternatively, you can toast the Peep-chocolate-matzah combinations in the toaster oven on a lined baking pan, but keep a close eye on them; you don’t want your Peeps to burn. Much.
This post has been contributed by a third party. The opinions, facts and any media content are presented solely by the author, and JewishBoston assumes no responsibility for them. Want to add your voice to the conversation? Publish your own post here.