I’m sure we’re not the only ones who went on a pumpkin-palooza in the fall and have had large and intrusive gourds migrating across miscellaneous kitchen countertops since November. With that in mind, as a little pre-emptive and aspirational attempt at spring cleaning, my wife concocted a most delicious of trans-seasonal treats yesterday in what might be a first-of-its-kind batch of pumpkin hamantaschen. That the pumpkin was hand-picked, survived a hardy New England winter, and was boiled/strained/pureed just before being placed in the delicious vessels that are Brosgol hamantaschen probably made them that much more delicious. I challenge you all to grab whatever manner of pumpkin you have handy and take this recipe out for a spin. These babies are straight-up delicious.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- ½ cup melted butter
- 4 cups flour
- 16 ounces of pumpkin puree
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add sugar, orange peel and butter, and beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Refrigerate dough for two hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out dough to ¼-inch thickness and cut with a 3-inch round cookie cutter (or 16-ounce beer glass) into circles.
- Place the circular dough one inch apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Spoon a HEAPING teaspoon of pumpkin into the center of each dough circle and shape into triangles, pinching the corners of the dough together after moistening with water to help with adhesion.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden-brown.
- Make sure to let the filling cool for a few minutes as the pumpkin will be wicked hot. And if you want some extra flavor, add pumpkin pie spice and/or cranberries for good measure and extra goodness. You can also mix some applesauce into the pumpkin puree for additional flavor.
This post has been contributed by a third party. The opinions, facts and any media content are presented solely by the author, and JewishBoston assumes no responsibility for them. Want to add your voice to the conversation? Publish your own post here.