Do you want to have a direct impact on Boston’s Jewish community? CJP seeks a freelance writer to curate and produce a range of stories on the topics of antisemitism and anti-Zionism for our “Confronting Antisemitism and Hate” resource page. The writer will work closely with CJP’s director of content strategy on all aspects of content planning and production and will assist in the creation, curation and posting of online components (including resources, events and original articles) for story packages across our digital channels.
This writer has experience in print and/or online journalism with proven storytelling instincts, expert reporting and research skills, and a portfolio that’s varied in both subject matter and style. The ideal candidate is already familiar with the historical and modern manifestations of anti-Jewish animus and is prepared to explore Boston’s Jewish community through coverage of events and content related to antisemitism, hate and anti-Zionism and can quickly produce a compelling article in response to breaking news in the Jewish community when needed. This writer has their finger on the pulse of Boston’s Jewish community and will generate high-quality stories relevant for our growing audience. Our goal is to explore this subject in a way that’s accessible to everyone, regardless of knowledge or experience with Judaism.
Working independently and with CJP’s director of content strategy, this writer is passionate about the subject matter and has the initiative to own this “beat.” The ideal candidate is dependable, reliable and flexible, and will be able to file stories and photos remotely. This writer also has the ability to cover events on weekends and nights when necessary.
- Pitch and write relevant stories on the topics of antisemitism, hate and anti-Zionism as needed
- Curate and post relevant events on a weekly basis, from both Greater Boston (in-person and virtual) and beyond (virtual)
- Curate and post relevant resources, community news and ways to take action on a weekly basis
- Launch regular newsletter curating relevant events, community news, resources and more (frequency TBD)
- Build relationships with partner institutions and organizations to facilitate sourcing and curation of new content
- Regularly communicate with members of CJP’s antisemitism task force and CJP’s content team to relay story ideas, resources and community news
- Report out on page, newsletter and content performance and seek to continuously improve audience acquisition and engagement; determine site features and optimizations that will help increase engagement and user experience
- Work cross-functionally with members of CJP’s digital strategy and growth team to develop plans for promotion (social, SEO, etc.)
- Experience in print and/or online journalism or direct experience in content creation and management for targeted audiences
- Strong working knowledge of Jewish culture, history and religion
- Strong working knowledge of historical antisemitism and anti-Zionism and the ways these issues intersect with other forms of hate and bigotry
- Awareness of relevant organizations and sources from which to seek information
- Experience using content management systems (training for custom WordPress site provided)
- Comfortable working in a deadline-oriented environment
- Ability to cover events on nights and weekends, as needed
- Knowledge of AP style
The pay rate is $15,000-$25,000 annually.
To apply, please send a resume, brief bio and at least three writing samples that showcase your reporting, research and storytelling abilities to firstname.lastname@example.org.