With Thanksgiving just around the corner, this is the perfect month to celebrate all that you’re grateful for. For many of us, that’s family (though I know it’s easy to forget how much they mean to you when say your father is regalling a room full of strangers with the story of how you threw up all over the back seat of the family car in the middle of a road trip…true story.)
November is National Adoption Awareness Month. Families come in all shapes and sizes and form in so many different ways–it’s important to acknowledge all the ways they’re created and celebrate the differences.
At JFS, we feel a special connection to many adoptive families because of Adoption Choices, our licsensed adoption program.
Adoptive Families has a great list of ways to celebrate the month and we’ve compiled a few below. Visit adoptionfamilies.com for more ideas or click here for a calendar full of them!
- Orgainze a holiday toy drive for children waiting for permanent families
- Develop a family ritual to celebrate the special way your family came to be
- Rent a DVD that portrays adoption in a positive light
- Pass along an adoption-related article to an adoptive parent or friend.
- Create a scrapbook with your child–it’s a great outlet to talk about significant events and make memories.
- Ask your library to display adoption books
- Ask your local televsion or radio station to feature a child waiting for a family.
Have a wonderful National Adoption Awareness month everyone!
This post has been contributed by a third party. The opinions, facts and any media content are presented solely by the author, and JewishBoston assumes no responsibility for them. Want to add your voice to the conversation? Publish your own post here. MORE