Passover pastries are notoriously rich and heavy—from rainbow cookies to macaroons, the cloyingly sweet treats really overwhelm the palate. But in this recipe, the bright lemon and fresh blueberries keep the scones light, making them a perfect breakfast treat with a side of Greek yogurt, or a perfect ending to a heavy holiday meal with a side of tea.
Blueberry Lemon Scones
Makes 8 scones
- 2½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup arrowroot or tapioca flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup melted refined coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 2 eggs
- Zest of one lemon
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk the flours, salt and baking powder. In a second bowl, combine the coconut oil, honey, almond extract, eggs and lemon zest; whisk until incorporated. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a spoon until a dough forms. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Form the dough into a 9-inch disc and cut it into 8 triangles. Transfer the scones to a parchment-lined baking sheet and top with sliced almonds. Bake until the bottom of the scones are lightly golden, about 20 minutes.