“The Instant Pot Kosher Cookbook” features your favorite Jewish and kosher recipes adapted for the instant pot, international favorites and the latest food trends: cholent with a twist, beet tahini, chicken shwarma, harira soup, matzoh brei brule, chicken paprikash, vegetable paella, dolmas, vegan zucchini rolls with cashew cheese, malabi flan, honey cake, cheesecake, this spaghetti in flanken bolognese, and more!
Want to learn more about my new cookbook, eating your feelings and honoring family traditions? Check out my interview with The Vibe of the Tribe podcast here!
Spaghetti With Flanken Bolognese
Hands-on time: 21 minutes. Time to pressure: 15 minutes. Cook time: 15 minutes. Buttons to use: “Sauté” and “Pressure.” Release type: Quick release. May be made two days in advance. Serves 6.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound deboned flanken or short ribs, cut into ⅓-inch pieces
- ½ cup white wine
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 24 ounces marinara sauce
- Water to fill the sauce jar
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Press “Sauté” and when the display reads “Hot,” add 2 tablespoons of the oil, onions and garlic to the inner pot. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the ground beef and flanken and cook to brown the meat for 5 minutes, pressing the meat pieces into the bottom of the pan, stirring occasionally to brown on all sides. Add the wine and cook for 3 minutes to cook off. Add the pepper. Press “Cancel.”
- Grab half the spaghetti and break the strands in half. Rinse under cold water and place each handful into the pot, placing the strands in different directions. Repeat for the remaining spaghetti and add to the pot. Drizzle the remaining oil on top of the spaghetti strands. Pour the sauce over the pasta. Fill the jar with water and pour over the pasta. Add salt on top.
- Secure the lid, ensuring that the steam release handle is in the “Sealing” position. Press the “Pressure” button and set the cooking time for 15 minutes.
- When the cooking time is complete, turn the steam release handle to the “Venting” position to release any remaining pressure. Press “Cancel” and remove the lid.
- Use two forks to separate the spaghetti strands and mix the pasta and meat together. Taste the pasta. If it is a bit hard, return the cover to the pot and let warm for 5 minutes. Stir again and serve. Add more salt and pepper, if needed.
© Paula Shoyer, reprinted with permission from “The Instant Pot Kosher Cookbook” (Sterling Epicure 2021).