The main idea for kids: Create a challah cover to make our Shabbat celebration more beautiful.
Recommended age: 4+
- Cotton canvas challah cover
- Crayola Fabric Broad Line Markers
- Iron or clothes dryer
- Spread newspaper on a flat work surface and put the challah cover on top.
- Think about what images represent your family. How could you draw your family? Can you try drawing a challah?
- Use the fabric markers to decorate the challah cover.
- Follow the directions on the fabric marker box for sealing the colors. After sealing, you can wash and dry the challah cover as needed.
- Visit JewishBoston.com/Shabbat for instructions and information about Shabbat rituals, including the blessing over challah.
This project was originally featured in JewishBoston.com’s Shabbat of the Month Club program.