The main idea for kids: Create place mats to add special decoration to the Shabbat table.
Recommended age: 4+
- Four cotton canvas place mats
- Crayola Fabric Broad Line Markers
- Iron or clothes dryer
- Spread newspaper on a flat work surface and put the place mats on top.
- Your place mat is for your spot at the table. What can you draw that shows off your hobbies and talents? Use the fabric markers to decorate the canvas.
- Follow directions on the fabric marker box for sealing the colors. After sealing, you can wash and dry the place mats as needed.
- Visit JewishBoston.com/Shabbat for instructions and information about Shabbat rituals, including the blessing over challah.
This project was originally featured in JewishBoston.com’s Shabbat of the Month Club program.