The main idea for kids: Shabbat is made sweet by spending time with family and by sharing delicious homemade foods, like traditional challah.
Recommended age: 3+
- One box Tribes-A-Dozen’s Voilà! Hallah Traditional Egg Bread Mix
- Additional baking ingredients as listed on the Voilà! Hallah box
- Chocolate chips or raisins as optional mix-ins
- Follow the baking instructions on the Voilà! Hallah box. Help your child by handing them pre-measured ingredients to add. Your child can help shape and braid the challah, too.
- If adding chocolate chips or raisins, add them right after the wet ingredients, before you start kneading the dough.
- Want to make babka (a loaf-shaped cake) instead? Visit tribesadozen.com/blog for more ways to use the mix.
- Visit JewishBoston.com/Shabbat for instructions and information about Shabbat rituals, including the blessing over challah.
NOTE: For additional baking tips and ideas, please visit tribesadozen.com.
This project was originally featured in JewishBoston.com’s Shabbat of the Month Club program.