Sometimes you really can’t get there from here.

Friday’s pseudo-surprising snowpocalypse snarled air traffic up and down the Northeast for the better part of the day and cancelled the first leg of my trip to Israel with only a few hours’ warning.

created at: 2013-03-10Not daunted by this news, I headed to Logan anyway to see if I could finagle my way to Tel Aviv through Paris, Amsterdam, Newark, Philly, JFK, Atlanta, Detroit, or London in time to get to Haifa by, well, this morning.

No dice.

#epicfail.

My earliest potential arrival in Haifa would have been on Sunday evening, hours after my scheduled presentation, and twelve hours before our partners were scheduled to leave Haifa for a two-week trip to the States.

So I humbly returned home after a few hours of phone calls and discussions at Logan, and after consulting with all of our people in Haifa, decided to cancel the trip altogether.

In every storm cloud full of March snow, though, there is a silver living. Mine included watching my wife play soccer on Friday and my son play basketball on Saturday, going to a party celebrating a friend’s election as a Bedford Selectwoman last night, and being around for the first workouts for spring baseball this afternoon.

But all was not lost.

Through a tech-savvy mishmash of email, Skype, PowerPoint, and screen-sharing I was able to make my presentation at the Boston-Haifa Steering Committee meeting today and share the amazing progress we have made over the past three years in our Prozdor-Reali partnership. We reviewed our multi-year curriculum, reflected on our six exchanges, and celebrated the success of our collaborative work with each other.

The presentation was highlighted by the launch of our new Boston-Haifa youth radio portal. This joint venture between Prozdor, Reali, and Radio Haifa is the jewel of the pilot project and we look forward to continuing to build that out over the next few years.

So while I’m not enjoying the weather over in Haifa this week, and not doing all the things I wrote about on Thursday, in the end it’s OK. We’ll try to pack in extra work time when the 40-person Reali delegation arrives in Boston, or maybe I’ll head over to Haifa later this spring. But for now, I’ll welcome the chance to have more time to prepare for the Reali visit at the end of the week.

Hopefully it won’t snow by then… but given our winter full of Friday and Saturday storms, I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

This post has been contributed by a third party. The opinions, facts and any media content are presented solely by the author, and JewishBoston assumes no responsibility for them. Want to add your voice to the conversation? Publish your own post here.