Join us for a fascinating course from the Jewish Learning Institute where we’ll relive together the EPIC debates of our past. Imagine that you were around 2,000 years ago; where do YOU see yourself?
- Would you be pro-establishment, like the Pharisees? Or anti-establishment, like the sect who wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls?
- Would you believe Judaism is a nationality and join those who took their lives at Masada? Or would you side with the moderates who settled to survive as a religion under Roman rule?
- If you were around when Maimonides’s books were burned because of his rationalist views, which camp of the faith-vs-reason debate do you see yourself on?
- If you had been expelled from Spain, might you have joined the active messianists who sought to renew the Sanhedrin and force the redemption?
- If you were in Eastern Europe in the 1700s, would you side with Chasidism and the followers of the Ba’al Shem Tov? Or would you join its opponents?
- And today, where do you stand on the issue of separation of church and state? Do you believe religion is something we should display in public? Or is it a personal and private affair to be kept out of the public eye?
These are but a few of the fascinating debates we’ll be reenacting!
The learning sessions will be held at Chabad of Downtown Boston for six consecutive Tuesday evenings, 7:30 p.m.-8:45 p.m., October 31-December 5.+ More... - Less...
16 Piedmont St
Boston, MA 02116