Join us for a fascinating course from the Jewish Learning Institute where we’ll relive together the EPIC debates of our past. Imagine that you were around 2,000 years ago; where do YOU see yourself?
- Would you be pro-establishment, like the Pharisees? Or anti-establishment, like the sect who wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls?
- Would you believe Judaism is a nationality and join those who took their lives at Masada? Or would you side with the moderates who settled to survive as a religion under Roman rule?
- If you were around when Maimonides’s books were burned because of his rationalist views, which camp of the faith-vs-reason debate do you see yourself on?
- If you had been expelled from Spain, might you have joined the active messianists who sought to renew the Sanhedrin and force the redemption?
- If you were in Eastern Europe in the 1700s, would you side with Chasidism and the followers of the Ba’al Shem Tov? Or would you join its opponents?
- And today, where do you stand on the issue of separation of church and state? Do you believe religion is something we should display in public? Or is it a personal and private affair to be kept out of the public eye?
These are but a few of the fascinating debates we’ll be reenacting!
The learning sessions will be held at Chabad of Downtown Boston for six consecutive Tuesday evenings, 7:30 p.m.-8:45 p.m., October 31-December 5.+ More... - Less...
16 Piedmont St
Boston, MA 02116
CJP provides the above links concerning third-party events for your convenience only. CJP has no control over the content of the linked-to websites or events they describe, and accepts no responsibility for the websites, including any advertising or products or services on or available from such sites, or for any loss or damage that may arise from your attending, or registering to attend, the described events. If you decide to access any of the third-party websites linked to below, you do so entirely at your own risk and subject to the terms and conditions of use for such websites and event attendance. CJP is not responsible or liable to you or any third party for the content or accuracy of any materials provided by any third parties. All statements and/or opinions expressed in the linked-to materials or at the described events, and all commentary, articles and other content provided at the third-party websites or at the events, are solely the opinions and the responsibility of the persons or entities operating the linked-to websites and events. The inclusion of any link on this website does not imply that CJP endorses the described event, or the linked-to website or its operator.