Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup unsalted kosher for Passover margarine, unsalted butter or plain unsalted margarine
- 5 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper and butter the paper.
- In food processor combine chopped chocolates. Process until finely chopped. In saucepan bring sugar and 1/2 cup water to boil. Stir to dissolve sugar.
- With food processor running, add boiling sugar syrup to chocolate through feed tube. Add margarine, 2 tablespoons at a time. Add eggs.
- Process only until smooth. Pour chocolate mixture into prepared pan.
- Place cake pan inside roasting pan. Pour enough hot water in roasting pan to reach halfway up sides of pan.
- Place roasting pan on rack in center of oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out with just a few specks of chocolate clinging to the tip of the knife and cake begins to pull away from edges of pan. Transfer cake pan to a wire rack. Cool for 10 minutes. Using a small, sharp knife, loosen cake from pan sides.
- Cover cake surface with plastic wrap and invert onto baking sheet. Lift off pan and remove parchment. Invert a cake plate over the cake; turn plate and baking sheet so that cake is right-side up. Remove plastic wrap. Serve warm or cold.
From Elisha Gechter’s blog, Double Portion.