Stuffing is everyone’s guilty pleasure during Thanksgiving. The combination of crunchy, salty cashews, sweet apples and toasted challah cubes makes this recipe extra special.
Challah, Apple and Cornbread Stuffing With Cashews
- 1 challah bread, diced
- 2 cups rye bread, diced
- 6 cornbread muffins, crumbled into large pieces
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cups golden delicious apples, diced
- 2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 4 cups poultry stock
- 1 cup large cashews, salted
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the breads on a large baking pan and toast in the oven until lightly browned, about 15-18 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter. Add onions, celery, apples, sage, thyme and onion powder. Sauté for 8 minutes.
- Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat. Place the toasted breads in a large mixing bowl. Pour the apple mixture over the bread and mix gently with a large fork. Add cashews and parsley.
- Place into a baking dish and bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Add additional stock, if needed.