Looking for something fresh and crisp to cut all the carb-filled round challah and honey cake you’ll be consuming for Rosh Hashanah? Try this celery and apple salad with a mild honey dressing and mint leaves, cucumbers and pepitas.
Crisp Celery and Green Apple Salad
- For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mild honey
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, grated or pushed through a press
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For the salad:
- 5 ounces salad greens
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced on a bias
- 2 small crisp apples, quartered, cored and very thinly sliced into wedges
- 2 Persian cucumbers, halved vertically and thinly sliced into half-moons
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- ¼ cup roasted, salted pepitas
- Make the dressing: Whisk together the vinegar, honey, mustard, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- Make the salad: Layer the greens in the bottom of a large salad bowl. Top with the celery, apples, cucumbers, mint leaves and about half the pepitas. Drizzle with desired amount of dressing and toss to combine (reserve any remaining dressing for another use.) Sprinkle with the remaining pepitas.