The main idea for kids: Create colorful candleholders to welcome Shabbat.
Recommended age: 4+
- Two small glass jam jars or mason jars
- Crayola Fabric Broad Line Markers (they work on glass too!)
- Pebbles found outside
- Mr. Mole’s Sticky Wax Candle Adhesive
- Beeswax candles
- Place jars on a sheet of newspaper on a flat work surface.
- Shabbat is partly about rest. What colors and pictures seem Shabbat-like to you? Use the fabric markers to draw a pattern on the jars. Allow a minute or two to dry.
- Collect three to four handfuls of pebbles; wash and dry them.
- Place a pea-sized amount of sticky wax adhesive on the bottom of each candle.
- Attach the candles to the bottoms of the jars.
- Pour the pebbles around the base of your candles. Visit JewishBoston.com/Shabbat for instructions and information about Shabbat rituals, including the candle-lighting blessing.
NOTE: An adult should always supervise the lighting of the Shabbat candles and make sure the candles are securely mounted in the jars. As a safety precaution, we recommend placing a large sheet of foil or a baking sheet underneath the candles.
This project was originally featured in JewishBoston.com’s Shabbat of the Month Club program.
This post has been contributed by a third party. The opinions, facts and any media content are presented solely by the author, and JewishBoston assumes no responsibility for them. Want to add your voice to the conversation? Publish your own post here. MORE