The main idea for kids: Create colorful candleholders to welcome Shabbat.
Recommended age: 4+
- Two small glass jam jars or mason jars
- Crayola Fabric Broad Line Markers (they work on glass too!)
- Pebbles found outside
- Mr. Mole’s Sticky Wax Candle Adhesive
- Beeswax candles
- Place jars on a sheet of newspaper on a flat work surface.
- Shabbat is partly about rest. What colors and pictures seem Shabbat-like to you? Use the fabric markers to draw a pattern on the jars. Allow a minute or two to dry.
- Collect three to four handfuls of pebbles; wash and dry them.
- Place a pea-sized amount of sticky wax adhesive on the bottom of each candle.
- Attach the candles to the bottoms of the jars.
- Pour the pebbles around the base of your candles. Visit JewishBoston.com/Shabbat for instructions and information about Shabbat rituals, including the candle-lighting blessing.
NOTE: An adult should always supervise the lighting of the Shabbat candles and make sure the candles are securely mounted in the jars. As a safety precaution, we recommend placing a large sheet of foil or a baking sheet underneath the candles.
This project was originally featured in JewishBoston.com’s Shabbat of the Month Club program.