At the Great Jewish Books Summer Program, rising high school juniors and seniors come to the Yiddish Book Center in Amherst to read selections from important works of modern Jewish literature and consider how they speak to the opportunities and challenges we face today. Under the guidance of college professors, they consider how the rich legacy of modern Jewish literature can inform us in the 21st century.
Although the program’s focus is on reading, this is not school in any conventional sense: Great Jewish Books is a lively program full of social, cultural and recreational opportunities—and no grades—for students who read for the love of reading and who are eager to discover the treasures of the Jewish canon.
Every admitted participant receives a scholarship for the full cost of tuition, room, board, books and special events.
Great Jewish Books students:
- Read and discuss important works of modern literature by writers such as Franz Kafka, Sholem Aleichem, Grace Paley, Philip Roth and Isaac Babel.
- Learn from college faculty, as well as prominent visiting writers (including, in past years, novelists Allegra Goodman and Jami Attenberg, poet and critic Adam Kirsch and graphic novelist and scholar Ilan Stavans).
- Develop skills for literary analysis and self-expression that will prepare them for college.
- Meet other teenagers from across North America who love to read and who care about literature and Jewish culture.
- Get a taste of college life, seeing what it’s like to live and learn on the campus of Hampshire College.
- Discover how modern literature connects them to ancient traditions and contemporary ideas.
Sophomores and juniors are eligible to apply. For more information and to apply, click here.+ More... - Less...
Until Friday, July 31, 2020 at 8:00 pm
* Registration closes on March 9th
1021 West St
Amherst, MA 01002
CJP provides the above links concerning third-party events for your convenience only. CJP has no control over the content of the linked-to websites or events they describe, and accepts no responsibility for the websites, including any advertising or products or services on or available from such sites, or for any loss or damage that may arise from your attending, or registering to attend, the described events. If you decide to access any of the third-party websites linked to below, you do so entirely at your own risk and subject to the terms and conditions of use for such websites and event attendance. CJP is not responsible or liable to you or any third party for the content or accuracy of any materials provided by any third parties. All statements and/or opinions expressed in the linked-to materials or at the described events, and all commentary, articles and other content provided at the third-party websites or at the events, are solely the opinions and the responsibility of the persons or entities operating the linked-to websites and events. The inclusion of any link on this website does not imply that CJP endorses the described event, or the linked-to website or its operator.