These are the basic proportions to follow when building a simple gazoz. Master this and every glass will be your creative playground.
Makes 1 drink
- 3 or 4 large ice cubes (see note)
- 2 slices or pieces of fermented fruit, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons syrup from the fruit or milkshake syrup
- 1 or 2 slices fresh fruit
- 1 or 2 pieces fermented whole spice or chiles
- 1 teaspoon fermented spice syrup
- 12 ounces (355 milliliters) sparkling water
- Leaves, greens, herbs and flowers of your choice
- Place the ice in a 12- to 16-ounce (360-475 milliliters) glass; spoon in the fermented fruit syrup. Add the fermented fruit, fresh fruit, fermented spice and fermented spice syrup on top. Fill the glass with sparkling water, then garnish the top with the herbs, leaves, greens and flowers of your choice. Insert straw and drink immediately.
- Note: Though any ice cubes work well, cubes made with filtered mineral water or tap water that has been boiled and cooled will be clearer and more compact, and will melt more slowly. Try to avoid crushed ice, which will melt quickly and dilute your beverage.
Excerpted from “Gazoz” by Benny Briga and Adeena Sussman (Artisan Books). Copyright © 2021.