Read our interview with her here.
Hummus-Stuffed Baked Shell Pasta
- 1 (16-ounce) package jumbo shell pastas, cooked according to package instructions and drained
- 3 cups tomato marinara sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained or equivalent cooked chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- ¼ cup lemon juice or juice from 1 large lemon
- ½ garlic clove, peeled
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1–2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray (not required, but recommended).
- Pour 1 cup of the marinara sauce evenly on the bottom of the baking dish and top with cooked pasta shells.
- Using a food processor, blend remaining ingredients until the desired consistency is reached and hummus is well-combined.
- Spoon hummus filling into pasta shells, then top with remaining 2 cups of marinara sauce. Cover and bake for 30–35 minutes, then allow to set for a few minutes before serving.
- Tip: This dish can also be topped with vegan cheese; however, it is definitely not lacking in flavor without the cheese. The nutritional yeast does a great job adding cheesiness to this homemade hummus filling and is beyond satisfying!
Check out Gill’s recipe for pumpkin spice hummus.