This course will explore the intertwined destinies of Judaism and Islam, including the myth of the Jews and Arabs as cousins, the Jewish background to the Islamic religion, and the Muslim-Jewish symbiosis during the medieval period.
Topics will include:
- The influence of Jewish teachings on Muhammad (570-632), the founder of Islam
- The relationship between the five pillars of Islam and Judaism and the Qur’an’s attitudes to Jews and Judaism
- The status of Jews as dhimmi (“protected minority”) under Islam
- The role of the Jews in Islamic societies
- The Golden Age of Jewish life in Muslim Spain
- The Arabic writings of Judah Halevi and Moses Maimonides
- The influences of Islam upon Judaism
- The status of Jews living under Islam before the founding of the State of Israel
Class begins on April 2, 2018, and runs through June 18, 2018. It meets Mondays, 7:30-9:30 p.m., for 10 sessions.
For more information and to register, click “Go” or contact Sara Riedner Brown at 617-559-8708 or firstname.lastname@example.org.+ More... - Less...