This recipe is a quick and easy way to make amazing pita at home using only one bowl. (Need something to dip your pita in? Get Einat’s favorite hummus recipe here!)
Easy Oven Baked Pita
Makes 12 pitas
- 8 cups all-purpose flour (1,000 grams)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry active yeast
- 2 ½ cups warm water (600 grams)
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon canola oil
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer (fitted with a paddle attachment), add flour, salt, yeast and sugar.
- While mixing add in the oil and water. Combine just until the dough comes together. Cover with a drizzle of canola oil and plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for 45 minutes. The dough should double in size.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. The oven needs to be hot so make sure you give it at least 30 minutes to heat up. At this time you can place a pizza stone in the oven (if you have one) or a sheet tray.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces and shape into balls (about 140 grams each or the size of a navel orange). Oil your hands to prevent sticking. Place dough on a sheet tray with an oiled sheet of parchment. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- To shape, place dough on a floured surface and sprinkle with more flour. Using your fingers, press dough into a 6-inch round, even disc. It’s important to make sure the dough is even and as close to a perfect circle as you can get it. Sprinkle a little flour on the pizza stone or sheet tray and bake pita in batches, about four at a time. Bake for about 2 ½-3 minutes, or until the pita puffs up and is slightly golden in color.
- Serve warm or let cool and put in freezer.