“Women in the Rabbinate” is a four-part course that marks the 50th anniversary of Sally Priesand’s ordination as the first woman rabbi in the United States. Join leading scholars and rabbis, including Priesand herself, to learn about the history of women’s rabbinic roles before and since that groundbreaking moment.
- Wednesday, March 2: Rabbi Carole Balin speaks with Rabbi Sally Priesand about her groundbreaking ordination in 1972, its impact on the rabbinate and the women who influenced her along the way.
- Thursday, March 10: Dr. Karla Goldman and Rabbi Laura Geller discuss Regina Jonas, the first woman known to have been ordained as a rabbi, who was nearly forgotten after her death at Auschwitz.
- Thursday, March 24: Sara Gardner and Sigal Samuel will discuss Oznat Barzani (also spelled Asnat Barazani), a highly-educated and respected Torah scholar and yeshiva leader in 17th-century Kurdistan.
- Thursday, March 31: Rabbi Angela Buchdahl of Central Synagogue and Dr. Judith Rosenbaum of JWA discuss the long history of Jewish women’s religious leadership and Rabbi Buchdahl’s own pioneering path.
* Registration closes on March 2nd
Thursday, March 10, 2022, 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Thursday, March 24, 2022, 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Thursday, March 31, 2022, 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm
CJP provides the above links concerning third-party events for your convenience only. CJP has no control over the content of the linked-to websites or events they describe, and accepts no responsibility for the websites, including any advertising or products or services on or available from such sites, or for any loss or damage that may arise from your attending, or registering to attend, the described events. If you decide to access any of the third-party websites linked to below, you do so entirely at your own risk and subject to the terms and conditions of use for such websites and event attendance. CJP is not responsible or liable to you or any third party for the content or accuracy of any materials provided by any third parties. All statements and/or opinions expressed in the linked-to materials or at the described events, and all commentary, articles and other content provided at the third-party websites or at the events, are solely the opinions and the responsibility of the persons or entities operating the linked-to websites and events. The inclusion of any link on this website does not imply that CJP endorses the described event, or the linked-to website or its operator. MORE