How and why does anti-Semitism persist in communities today? What can we do as educators, neighbors and religious institutions to confront hatred in our schools and communities? To explore these questions, come to this professionally developed class at Congregation Shalom led by a teacher from the organization Facing History and Ourselves.
Facing History’s groundbreaking lessons explore the role that anti-Semitism played at the 2017 Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville as a case study in contemporary anti-Semitism. The lessons provide strategies and resources for discussing controversial issues with students that are especially urgent at this historical moment. They also provide a lens through which we can construct effective ways of responding to such issues within the Jewish community, in particular.
In this seminar/workshop, participants will:
- Explore the lesson series “The Persistence of Hate: What the 2017 Unite the Right Rally Revealed About Contemporary Anti-Semitism,” which investigates the August 2017 events in Charlottesville as a case study in contemporary anti-Semitism
- Examine American anti-Semitism in a historical context by exploring primary sources from the 20th century
- Discuss community responses to these events and how students, communities and religious institutions can choose to participate in strengthening society when faced with violations based upon hatred or bigotry
After this seminar/workshop:
- Educators will receive coaching and support as they implement the lessons in their classrooms
- All participants are eligible to become part of the Facing History Educator Network with access to educator resources, including unit and lesson plans, study guides and books and DVDs accessible through the Facing History free online lending library
Please note: All participants need to create a Facing History profile in order to register for this event, which includes a light dinner. Please go to facinghistory.org to create your profile. After that, visit this link to register for the event. If you have any difficulty with the Facing History site, please contact Sara Bellin of Facing History at firstname.lastname@example.org.+ More... - Less...
87 Richardson Rd
North Chelmsford, MA 01863
CJP provides the above links concerning third-party events for your convenience only. CJP has no control over the content of the linked-to websites or events they describe, and accepts no responsibility for the websites, including any advertising or products or services on or available from such sites, or for any loss or damage that may arise from your attending, or registering to attend, the described events. If you decide to access any of the third-party websites linked to below, you do so entirely at your own risk and subject to the terms and conditions of use for such websites and event attendance. CJP is not responsible or liable to you or any third party for the content or accuracy of any materials provided by any third parties. All statements and/or opinions expressed in the linked-to materials or at the described events, and all commentary, articles and other content provided at the third-party websites or at the events, are solely the opinions and the responsibility of the persons or entities operating the linked-to websites and events. The inclusion of any link on this website does not imply that CJP endorses the described event, or the linked-to website or its operator.