Registration is open for Judaism and Islam at Congregation Or Atid in Wayland.
Class begins Jan. 17 and meets alternating Tuesday nights, 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm.
This course will explore the intertwined destinies of Judaism and Islam, beginning with the Talmudic idea of the Jews and Arabs as cousins, continuing through the Jewish background to the Islamic religion, and concluding with the Muslim-Jewish symbiosis during the medieval period.
Topics will include:
- Biblical origins of the Ishmaelites and the rabbinic identification of Ishmaelites with Arabs
- Influence of Jewish teachers and Judaism on Muhammad (570-632), the founder of Islam
- Relationship between the five pillars of Islam and Judaism
- Qur’an’s attitudes to Jews and Judaism
- Status of Jews as dhimmi (“protected minority”) under Islam
- Role of the Jews in Islamic societies
- Golden Age of Jewish life in Muslim Spain
- Influence of Arabic poetry on medieval Hebrew poetry
- Arabic writings of Judah Halevi and Moses Maimonides
- Recent discoveries about Judeo-Islamic civilization in the Cairo Genizah
- Status of Jews living under Islam before the founding of the State of Israel
Me’ah Select is a ten week in-depth exploration of a specific theme, text, personality or slice of Jewish history. Our talented faculty, known for their scholarship and dynamic approach to adult learning, bring their classes to life through the study of literature, history, art, and original texts and source material.+ More... - Less...
97 Concord Rd
Wayland, MA 01778
CJP provides the above links concerning third-party events for your convenience only. CJP has no control over the content of the linked-to websites or events they describe, and accepts no responsibility for the websites, including any advertising or products or services on or available from such sites, or for any loss or damage that may arise from your attending, or registering to attend, the described events. If you decide to access any of the third-party websites linked to below, you do so entirely at your own risk and subject to the terms and conditions of use for such websites and event attendance. CJP is not responsible or liable to you or any third party for the content or accuracy of any materials provided by any third parties. All statements and/or opinions expressed in the linked-to materials or at the described events, and all commentary, articles and other content provided at the third-party websites or at the events, are solely the opinions and the responsibility of the persons or entities operating the linked-to websites and events. The inclusion of any link on this website does not imply that CJP endorses the described event, or the linked-to website or its operator.